The National H.I.R.E. Network is committed to working closely with national, state and local advocates/stakeholders to:
- Identify public policy priorities;
- Offer model legislation and practices;
- Develop appropriate advocacy strategies to challenge state and federal employment barriers; and
- Identify and unite advocacy efforts of workforce development and criminal justice advocates to develop one comprehensive policy agenda.
These collaborations have not only been beneficial to our state and local partners, they have also greatly improved our capacity to advocate with an informed perspective on the federal level as well.
Review our policy priority links to find briefing summaries, model legislation, and updates on what is happening around the country. Together, we can make positive policy change!
Federal Advocacy Initiatives
- Removing criminal record barriers to employment and occupation licensing.
- Increasing education and training opportunities in prisons and jails.
- Improving and increasing the use of the Work Opportunity Tax Credit.
- Eliminating higher education barriers such as the drug offense ban on student aid.
- Restoring Pell Grant eligibility to inmates.
- Improving public housing authority and landlord admission policies for people with criminal records.
State Advocacy Initiatives
- Inventories of Collateral Consequences
- Fairer Hiring and Occupational Licensing Standards
- Restoration of Eligibility for Employment and Occupational Licensing
- Expungement and Sealing of Records
- Anti‐discrimination Laws
- Securing Identification Documents
- Reducing Child Support Arrearages
- Training and Job Placement for The Affected Populations
- Employer Negligent Hiring Protection
Resources, Information & Assistance
- Relief from the Collateral Consequences of Conviction: State Laws Limiting Consideration of Conviction in Employment and Licensure
- Nationwide Survey of Identification Requirements for Newly Released Prisoners:
- Effective Strategies to Increase Employment Opportunities for People with Criminal Records